Dining in Golden Bay
Golden Bay has a extensive variety of restaurants and cafes, with many of them situated in unique and interesting locations.
- Just 3km from Adrift in Golden Bay, is the Mussel Inn - one of New Zealand's most iconic cafes, boutique breweries and music venues. Known for it's unique atmosphere, world class home-brewed beers and a variety of visiting musicians, from folk to jazz. The fare is simple and wholesome. A taxis can be arranged to and from Adrift for those guests wanting to sample a few beers!
- The Naked Possum, 20min drive north-west of Adrift, at the beginning of the Kaituna walking track, is another unique rural cafe with a great daytime menu and an outdoor spit-roast some evenings.
- The Farewell Spit Cafe, 30 min north of Adrift, at the base of the Farewell Spit has possibly one of the most stunning views of any cafe in New Zealand.
- In Takaka, 15min drive to the south, there are at least 10 places to eat, from cafes, restaurants, take-aways, a bakery, and a delicatessen.
- Collingwood, 8min drive north has 2 cafes and is the home to Rosy Glow Chocolates.
- Pohara, in the southern part of Golden Bay and 20min drive from Adrift, has 6 eateries, two of which have a set menu for evening dining.
- There are also several other rural cafes scattered throughout Golden Bay.
- Our central location makes it possible to drive to almost all of these eateries in 30 minutes or less.
For our guests wanting to self-cater in the well equipped kitchens (cottages only), or on the barbecues provided with each room, there is a large, well stocked "Fresh Choice" supermarket in Takaka which is open 7 days a week (until 8pm during the summer), which you will pass by on the drive to arrive at Adrift in Golden Bay.