Climate in Golden Bay
Golden Bay regions enjoys a Mediterranean-type climate with long summers, mild winters and plentiful all-year-round sunshine.
- As Golden Bay is the most northerly part of New Zealand's South Island, it is also the mildest.
- With more than 2,400 hours of sunshine, the Nelson Region consistently rates as New Zealand's sunniest spot!
- Our unpolluted air and clear skies means our sun is quite strong in summer so care is needed if your skin is not used to the sun.
- January and February are the warmest months of the year and July is generally the coldest.
- As we are blessed with many clear sunny days in winter it is possible to enjoy outdoor activities in all four seasons.
- Here in Tukurua we are protected by mountains from the cold south winds in winter so we enjoy a micro-climate in which snow is unknown, but snowfalls are common in July and August on the mountains surrounding Golden Bay, making for a beautiful backdrop to our wonderful scenery.
- To get some idea of Golden Bay's weather see the current Golden Bay weather
Summer (Dec - Feb): Mean max 23°C (73°F) Mean Min 12°C (54°F)
Autumn (Mar - May): Mean max 19°C (66°F) Mean Min 8°C (46°F)
Winter (Jun - Aug): Mean max 13°C (55°F) Mean Min 2°C (36°F)
Spring (Sep - Nov): Mean max 17°C (63°F) Mean Min 7°C (45°F)